Industry News Desk
ParaScale Announces Trial Availability of Clustered File System to Enable Cloud Storage
Enables new levels of scalability
Sep. 8, 2008 01:22 PM
ParaScale has announced that its ParaScale Cloud Storage (PCS) software has entered broad customer trials. Targeted at service providers and enterprises that require better solutions for file storage, management and distribution, PCS is a software-only solution that includes features and capabilities to create, manage and power cloud storage.
ParaScale Cloud Storage Software
Instead of implementing a strategy where every node knows everything about every action, the ParaScale architecture leverages central metadata control servers that are out of the data path. This centralization provides many benefits and enables new levels of scalability as storage nodes can focus on serving read and write requests without needing confirmation from peers. Mixing and matching of heterogeneous commodity hardware gives users the ability to expand when necessary based on current economies of scale while providing perpetual data availability.
ParaScale is full featured cloud storage software with key differences from existing clustered NAS solutions that have been designed typically for supercomputing applications. Key differentiating highlights include:
- Asymmetric architecture with central metadata control servers that are out of the data path
- Available control nodes with real-time metadata sharing and automatic failover
- Scalable as storage nodes can focus on serving read and write requests without needing confirmation from peers, a key difference versus existing NAS clusters for high-performance computing
- Support for heterogeneous commodity hardware with different performance and capacity profiles in a single cloud
- The ability to expand/upgrade the cloud when necessary over decades based on current economies of scale while providing perpetual data availability
Platform Support and Availability
ParaScale Cloud Storage runs in user space on multiple standard Linux servers.
PCS is immediately available for public trial. For more information about participation details, please visit http://www.parascale.com/index.php/registration